NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Thursday, December 12, 2013
What is Geriatric Dentistry?
Geriatric dentistry deals with special knowledge, attitudes and technical skills required in the provision of oral health care to older adults. Currently over 13.7% of the U.S. population is aged 65+ years, and this proportion will increase to 23% by the year 2040. The state of Ohio is one of nine states where the older adult population constitutes an increasingly significant percentage of the population.
Oral health is particularly important among the elderly. They are more susceptible to systemic conditions, making them predisposed to developing oral diseases which can directly or indirectly lead to malnutrition, altered communication, further susceptibility to infectious diseases, and diminished quality of life. Today, approximately 40% of older adults are edentulous (toothless), while the remaining 60% of individuals 65 years of age and older retain some or all of their natural teeth.(More)
Understanding Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)
Commonly Asked Questions
Research and Your Health:
Get Help With ...
Related Topics and Conditions